Childbirth educators say expectant women and their support partners are increasingly making music a part of their births and to even put together playlists for different stages of birth.
Tina Cassidy, author of "Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born," (Atlantic Monthly Press, 2006) said it's natural for women to want music around them during labor.
"If you go way back into history, singing was always a part of giving birth," Cassidy said. Today's moms are using music in a variety of ways in the delivery room, bringing everything from meditative CDs or relaxation music on iPods to help them relax, to Salt-N-Pepa to help them, literally, "Push It."
“It has been known for several decades that music in childbirth can promote relaxation, expecially if the mother and her partner practice with the music during the pregnancy,” says Regina, a nurse who teaches childbirth classes. “When you practice the techniques covered in class with the same music week after week, you condition yourself to automatically relax when you hear that music. Other music energizes you and that type of music is perfect for the second stage of labor…better known as pushing phase.”
If you are considering making a play list, here are some songs that already DO appear on expectant mothers’ playlists. Of course, you can find your own, but this is a good place to begin! Most are available on iTunes.
- "In My Life," Beatles
- "Seasons of Love," the cast of Rent
- “Get this Party Started” Pink
- "These Are Days," 10,000 Maniacs
- "Push It," Salt-N-Pepa
- "I'll Be There for You," Bon Jovi
- "Beautiful Boy," John Lennon
- "Beautiful Little Girl," Cherie Keaggy
- "The Luckiest," Ben Folds
- "Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor (Pathetique)," Beethoven
- "Freebird," Lynard Skynard
- "You'll be Blessed," Elton John
- "Pennies from Heaven," Louis Prima
- "I'm Coming Out," Diana Ross
"I'm Yours," Jason Mraz
Individual songs, specially for relaxation playlist:
- “Seascapes” Michael Jones
- “Rain Dance” Philip Elcano
- "Yoga" Soundscapes: Music for Relaxation
- "Dream of the World" Echoes of Childhood by Michael Jones
- "Pacific Coast" Ocean of Silence: Music for Reiki and Meditation by Shajan
- "One" Reiki Ocean by Sambodhi Prem
- "Liquid Silk" by Marina Raye on the Liquid Silk CD
- "The Cloud" by Bill Douglas on the Songs of Earth & Sky CD
- "Whisper to me" on the Liquid Mind IX: Lullaby CD